Microsoft Money is a personal finance and pension fund management software that was discontinued by its manufacturer in 2009 because “personal financial-management software has changed considerably in the 17 years since Money was first established.” But many Window users still have an operational version of this pension fund management software and can rack pension plans with it.
- Launch the pension fund management software on your computer and then enter your name/email and password. If you want to work offline, check the “Work Offline” box under the sign-in boxes.
- Find the “Account List” icon. At the top of the Home screen of the pension fund management software, there are icons to the right of the browser navigation buttons: the “Account List” button is the fifth icon. You may also select “Account List” on the left pane under “Microsoft Money.” Click on either the icon button at the top or the left pane link to enter the “Account List”.
- Under “Common Tasks” in the left pane, select the first link titled “Add a new account.” The next screen will ask you to choose the account type. It gives you 4 options: “Banking,” “Credit card,” “Investment” and “Other account type.” Select the “Investment” option, then click “Next.”
- The pension fund management software will not prompt you to choose the account type again. Click on the third options labeled “Retirement.” Click on “Next” and choose a name for your pension plan, or leave the default name of “Retirement.” Choose the currency and click “Next.”
- Follow the instructions of the pension fund management software. It will ask you to choose an account type ranging from 401k to 403b to IRA. Choose the appropriate amount type and click “Next.” The pension fund management software will create your pension plan. Go back to the “Account List” on the Home page and start entering your monetary information.
Companies with excess cash usually have the option between different investment accounting software options for their money. These companies evaluate various investments based on the length of time they wish to hold an investment and their desired rate of return. Business account for investments differently depending on the type of investments they choose. Below are some of the different type of procedures investment accounting software use.
The investing company records the purchase of trading securities by debiting trading securities and crediting cash for the amount spent to purchase the securities in their investment accounting software. The investing company records in the investment accounting software the sale of the available-for-sale securities by debiting cash for the amount received, crediting available-for-sale securities for the balance in the investment and adjusting the gain/loss on sale of securities for the difference.
The investing company records the purchase of available-for-sale securities by debiting available-for-sale securities ad crediting cash for the amount paid in the investment accounting software. The investing company records the change in value of the securities in the investment accounting software by adjusting an unrealized gain/loss account, and the available-for-sale securities amount by the change in value. The investing company records dividends or interest received by debiting cash and crediting interest or dividend income for the amount received. The investing company records the sale of the available-for-sale securities by debiting cash for the amount received, crediting available-for-sale securities for the balance in the investment and adjusting the gain/loss on sale of securities account for the difference.
The investing company records in the investment accounting software the purchase of held-to-maturity securities by debiting investment in bonds and crediting cash for the amount paid. Once the investing company receives an interest payment. It debits cash and credits interest income for the amount of money received. Once the investing company receives the full payment of the bond at maturity, it debits cash and credit investment in bonds for the cash received.
Information technology service management is the practice of managing the operational side of computer systems. Service in this case means giving value to the business from computer systems and enhancing that value through quality and problem management, support and system availability. Service management asset management solution manages and ties together these processes.
Information Technology Infrastructure Library
Information technology infrastructure library or ITIL is a standardized framework for managing the services given by an IT organization. Studying ITIL to get an idea on what areas cover service management and where there are gaps in your organization is a good beginning to making an assessment of potential asset management solutions.
Quality Assurance and Change Management
Quality assurance is the process of managing change. Good quality assurance processes track the changes coming to which systems, and inform the company of potential interactions that can cause problems. Comparing how the asset management solutions you are reviewing flag potential quality issues in your internal software projects will help drive your decision.
Reporting and tracking problems is a main part of service management. If this can be tied to the change management section of your asset management solution suite, problems that usually surface in your projects can be tracked back to specific changes that were made. This is usually called “Help Desk” software, but good problem management goes beyond reporting problems.
Configuration management is the tracking and management of changes on the servers that are not part of the asset management solution itself, like network software, operating systems, or versions of the application software. When tied in to change and problem management in your asset management solution suite, a very powerful cross referencing can occur which can ease troubleshooting. If you can develop a problem,, and look and see that a configuration change recently occurred, this can give a starting point for investigation.
Companies usually already have tools in place for some parts of service management. A good point of comparison when looking at asset management solution is to see what is already implemented, and go through potential asset management solution purchases to see if they will easily interact with what is currently already in place.